Monday 27 June 2016

Career aspirations


Before the Spain trip, I have never had any research experience except for concrete canoe. This is my first real research project. I am tasked with researching the placement of plastic hinges in Reinforced Concrete Frame. My research is computer model generated based. The software used for this project is called Etabs, which is a finite element software. Those of you familiar with Risa and SAP2000, Etabs is similar to them just a whole lot cooler! I can view the 2D and 3D version of the frame at the same time. I don't usually like to use computers, in this case I had to overcome that and not just learn to use the software on my own but also work with the software for 6 weeks! I am glad to have this opportunity to use a new software as well as to interact with professors from Spain. I do have to thank my lab mate, Eric as he is the reason I have been able to talk with my professors! He is a cool translator as well as Jose and Omar. After working with the software, I am confident of using new softwares and now I actually find them interesting.

Sneak peak at the project!
Living and working in Spain has been an amazing experience. It has helped me understand and adapt to a new culture quickly. On my return, I want to encourage my friends and others to try to do study abroad programs. It not only exposes you to the culture and ways of life but also broadens once perspective of life. Also, teaches you to work with a group in  a totally different environment. And I have yet to see Spanish people in a hurry, it always seems like they are enjoying life and not just dragging on. 

This research project has exposed me to a field which I never thought of before, Seismic. I am aware of all the research going on in this field at UTA. But after working a little bit in this field, I am willing to research more into seismic engineering. This little trip has given a boost to my future goal of working abroad. I want to work in different parts of the world and basically understand the different engineering concepts. 

Besides working, we have been busy exploring Valencia as well as cities around it. We also got some taste of Spanish fiestas. First, we said hola to some dolphins, fishes, tortoises, turtles, crocs, and others at the Oceanographic! That is a cool place to visit no matter what age you are. I enjoyed the dolphin show as well as looking at other animals. So, after the aquatic animals, it was time to enjoy some Valencian festival. Thursday was the San Juan festival, where everyone flocked to the beach and partied their all night. Most people in large groups  had bonfire and were just enjoying their time. It was a really nice experience to see everyone from little kids to old folks at the beach sitting around the bonfire, drinking, eating, and taking a dip in the ocean. At midnight, most people went for a dip and then came a surprising tradition, jumping over the fire! We being the adopted locals, had to try it as well!



We tried some more Valencian delicacies! And boy they were good! The fresh pescado frito was awesome! It was even better since it was not covered in batter.  My friends said the mussels and gamba was good was well. We don't skip deserts, so we tried some local dessert and more cakes!




Alicante at night 
Moving on from food and Valencia, we followed the San Juan festival to Alicante. About 2 hours drive from the our home away from home, it is a beautiful city! It was even more pretty as the streets were lit up with pretty lights and around every corner there were papermache or statues (like one shown in the picture below). At midnight, people burn those pretty things and only ashes remain. The firefighters were present at every place as they had to tone the fire down. They also managed to spray water at the crowd! I saw little kids all excited about getting wet and the smile on their faces later was the proof! This was my first festival of such kind. Oh I nearly forgot to mention the fireworks! Mainly little kids were the culprit, they kept on lighting them till 1 in the morning. So far Spain has lived unto everything I imagined about.

We spent the night at a nearly 300 year old house! How often can you say that!!! I am pretty excited to brag about that. It was cool place, although some of my friends were freaking out a little. I admit we all freaked out wen we heard some noise and then later found out it Ole, the donkey! The house had sort of a mini zoo as the next day we got to greet some hen, turkey, pig, sheep, dogs and donkey! The place once had a vineyard and still has the reminiscence of the good old days. Now its a theatre school which holds yearly camps and other things. The owners were quite nice! Oh also it was country side! It did remind me of TEXAS as it was very hot there!





300 year old house that we spent the night!
Old wine cellas



No comments:

Post a Comment